[squeak-dev] Re: 3.11 and the trunk

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Aug 19 21:34:34 UTC 2009

Hi!

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Göran Krampe wrote:
>> - Keith has more or less said that the trunk effort is counter
>> productive in comparison to his/their 3.11 effort. Personally I might
>> think it is a gray area, but even so - perhaps once and for all - with
>> a pedagogic mindset - explaining to us all how this is so and also
>> describing "trunk" and "bob" in some way that all of us can grok it...
>> would let us come to some conclusion.
>
> It's quite simple really. Software development works by developers
> working together in a shared repository, right? That's the trunk. The
> trunk is nothing but a shared repository that the developers have commit
> rights to. In the course of software development, builds happen on a
> regular basis. That's Bob. Bob is a tool to assemble various bits of
> code and content and compile this into a result. Simple as that.
>
> Mantis role in this process with regards to code is to assemble
> contributions from non-core-developers in the project; people who are
> not given direct commit rights to the repository. These contributions
> need to be reviewed and integrated. That's Installer for you. The result
> of the integration process goes back into the repository. There's the
> trunk again. All the parts have their place in the process.

I really, really would like to hear Keith comment on the above because
if it is indeed like you describe it- then I am at a total loss over the
whole hoopla. I suspect it is not as simple as you describe above.

>> At this point I don't really give a rats about the above! :) I just
>> want us to heal, embrace, drink beer and find a way to move on. This
>> "war" has hurt us I think, I always brag about Squeak/Smalltalk being
>> a very friendly place, but it has slipped a bit lately. And thinking
>> that it might have been my posts setting off the fire doesn't really
>> make it feel better ;)
>
> I'm not unhappy about it. We need to get moving again. Whatever triggers
> this process is a good thing. And I never expected the process to be
> painfree, but I do think we are making progress if only by illustrating
> that other models of contributions can actually be successful. Now we
> have to work out how to make this work together to produce an actual
> piece of software called Squeak.

True.

>> BTW, can we please get our current status/process "trunk" or "bob" or
>> whatever we are using these days written down on squeak.org in an
>> official manner? Perhaps this is already done.
>
> I have nothing on Bob but I think the most relevant links are these:
>
> http://installer.pbworks.com/Squeak311Proposal
> http://board.squeak.org/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

Right, and neither is really on www.squeak.org. I know Keith couldn't
understand why his 3.11 stuff needed to be on www.squeak.org - but it
really makes it much more official and easy for anyone to find.

>> This also goes for the 3.11 team - does it even exist anymore?  Let us
>> get our act together.
>
> I leave it to Matthew to respond to this question.

Right.

regards, Göran

PS. ...now will focus on DS hacking instead...