[squeak-dev] Re: Font sizes and engines was "Title bar bug on trunk"

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Aug 21 09:45:35 UTC 2009

On 21.08.2009, at 11:22, David Corking wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Ronald Spengler wrote:
>> I need bigDisplay for my X-O and my HDTV (I know, maybe I should be
>> ashamed
>> for putting these in the same sentence.)
>> The X-O actually has a ridiculously high resolution, so the default
>> fonts
>> are unusable on it.
>
> The fonts in Etoys 3.0 are big.   If I understand correctly, they need
> Pango/Rome/Cairo, so I may be wrong, but I don't think they work on
> Windows VMs.

Err, no, Pango is optional and only used on the XO so far, and even
there only for non-latin languages.

> However, IMHO, it would be really great if they were in the default
> developer images one day.   Hi - res screens are  increasingly common.
>
> Are the Etoys fonts completely incompatible with the font engines in
> trunk and Pharo?

Not at all, these are regular fonts supported by Squeak for years.

If you want to use these, choose "appearance" from the world menu,
then "system fonts", and then "BitstreamVeraSans" at about 15 Points.

- Bert -