[squeak-dev] binary development (was: 3.11 and the trunk)

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Aug 24 04:14:05 UTC 2009

On 19-Aug-09, at 5:45 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/584
>
> The idea is to be more like the Etoys users which can load binary
> projects containing not only the code they need but also hand crafted
> objects which have no source (like a drawing, some nested Morphs or
> even
> some text). This is very simplistic compared to Spoon, and my proposal
> was even more simplistic. In particular, this doesn't handle the case
> where any changes to bytecodes or object format are needed.

Interesting.

I note, though, that the wiki page you mention doesn't actually say
much about development. It's mostly concerned with efficient ways of
moving objects between images. Reliably reconstructing part of one
image in another is certainly a crucial part of collaborative
development, but it's not everything.

The other key feature of Monticello is merging. If you and I have the
same chunk in different image, and we make differing but compatible
changes, how can we create a chunk that contains both sets of changes?
I submit that any tool that can do that will have explicit knowledge
of the semantics of objects it's merging, whether Smalltalk code,
Etoys projects or something else.

So the wonderful generality of the Chunky Images idea only gets you so
far, and you still need a tool like Monticello to actually create
collaboratively. In Monticello 2 I've tried to address this idea
explicitly: the core versioning engine is knows nothing about the
semantics of the objects it's versioning, but it does rely on
pluggable domain models that do.

Colin