[squeak-dev] Trunk commits

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 08:09:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Bert Freudenberg<bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> No, I would rather create a squeak-users list for those not interested in
> developing Squeak itself, but just "with" Squeak. IMHO the commits messages
> make the community development process visible, which is a Good Thing.

before anything else: I like the fine-grained commit messages *very*
much as they make immediately apparent what has been done, by whom,
and where it has been uploaded.

As for the target mailing list, squeak-dev has obviously moved away
from being solely about developing *Squeak*. The commit mails kind of
push the fact that squeak-dev, after all, *is* a developers' list, in
people's faces. Asking all users not interested in Squeak
*development* to go and join another list may be asking too much; it
has a distinct smell of "go away if you're not interested in this".
(I'm deliberately exaggerating a bit here.)

As for developers, some of them may rather like to inform themselves
about commits in a batch-oriented way; this has been asked for
already. A dedicated commit mailing list can be configured to send
single e-mails or batches by each subscriber.

In a nutshell, I'd opt for a commit mailing list.

Best,

Michael