[squeak-dev] Trunk commits

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Mon Aug 24 09:24:59 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 23.08.2009, at 23:51, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Would it perhaps be better to have the automated trunk commit messages
>> going to some other dedicated mailing list?
>>
>> Gulik.
>

> I was curious how long it would take the first one to speak up :)

Hah, yes indeed :)

> No, I would rather create a squeak-users list for those not interested
> in developing Squeak itself, but just "with" Squeak. IMHO the commits
> messages make the community development process visible, which is a Good
> Thing.

Well, while they are a bit noisy, I don't mind them, and they _do_
provide visibility into the process. I can't say I read all of them, but
   I like having the option of just skimming diffs if I feel the urge.

Other mailing lists do the same: slime-devel have a "Daily Commit Log"
message. That might be an option if people find the messages TOO noisy:
bundle the commits into a single message per day. Pros: less noise on
the list; cons: higher latency for those interested. But, I guess, one
could have BOTH: a daily message with all the commits (or a summary, if
the message ends up bigger than 100K) to squeak-dev and, er, a
squeak-dev-dev for the full fat option.

frank