[squeak-dev] Trunk commits

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 24 12:19:36 UTC 2009

On 24.08.2009, at 13:48, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Hello —,
> Am 2009-08-24 um 10:27 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> […]
>> PROPOSAL: we make the detailed commit notices go to a separate list
>> as soon as someone has added a "digest" feature. This would send a
>> daily or weekly summary to squeak-dev, containing just the commit
>> summary a link to the detailed diffs. Bonus points for listing
>> affected classes.
>
> In fact, mailman (wich is aparently powering this list) is capable
> of creating daily digests.
> That said, having this list subscribing to a distinct commit-mailing-
> list, is would  be
> possible to have squeak-dev receiving only the digest whilst have
> all other subscribers
> receive the standard form.

That's a nice low-tech idea, but by far not as useful as a customized
digest.

It should be as concise as possible while still providing enough
information to follow what's going on (my suggestion was to only have
the commit summary, a list of affected classes, plus a link to the
full commit that shows the diff). The format could be similar to the
update log.

Making the development process transparent is way more important than
the convenience of those who don't care about it. At least so much we
learned. I agree with Collin that individual commit notes on squeak-
dev do not appear to be a real problem for now (how hard is it to
press delete?). But a nicely generated digest that balances
convenience with utility would be an acceptable compromise.

>   A side effect would be that the digest would already contain all
> discussion going on
> the commit-list. This would avoid the opt-out-scenario described by
> Michael. In fact,
> it would be opt-in (to the commit list) for everyone interested in
> very recent commit
> messages and disscussion of them.

No. The commit list would only allow posting from the source server,
and have reply-to set to squeak-dev. Discussion needs to take place
here.

- Bert -