[squeak-dev] Trunk commits

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:03:50 UTC 2009

2009/8/24 Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com>:
> +1
>
> On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 00:07 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On 23.08.2009, at 23:51, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all.
>> >
>> > Would it perhaps be better to have the automated trunk commit
>> > messages going to some other dedicated mailing list?
>> >
>> > Gulik.
>>

>> I was curious how long it would take the first one to speak up :)
>>
>> No, I would rather create a squeak-users list for those not interested
>> in developing Squeak itself, but just "with" Squeak. IMHO the commits
>> messages make the community development process visible, which is a
>> Good Thing.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> If we have to do anything about this then I think it is time we
> seriously consider a separate "squeak users" mailing list.  I would
> rather that users have to consider going from 'developer' to 'user'
> rather than from 'user' to 'developer'; by which I mean that I would
> prefer that we change the definition of squeak-dev and make another list
> the 'user' list, rather than create a new developer list.  Perhaps we
> should consider renaming the beginners list 'squeak-users' or the like.
> This would have the added benefit of bringing more eyes to bear on
> beginners requests.

+1
a list name - "squeak-dev" speaks for itself.
I can understand that some of list readers never contributed to
squeak, or contributed occasionally, and mainly staying with it to be
in touch with latest & hottest news and discussions around squeak. But
let's not forget the main purpose of the list.

Do trunk commits increasing mail traffic? Absolutely.
Can they be easily filtered by users who reading the list? Absolutely.
So, where is the problem?

Do such commits increasing the process visibility and giving everyone
a chance to evaluate and examine the changes as soon as they become
available? Yes.
So, given that this improves the development process (even by a bit) i
think it overweights any inconveniences, such as increase in mail
traffic, and everyone who understands that our main "employment" in
squeak-dev list should be a development of Squeak, also should only
wellcome such move :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.