[squeak-dev] binary development (was: 3.11 and the trunk)

David Farber dfarber at numenor.com
Tue Aug 25 22:54:54 UTC 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 2:28 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> One of the things the headless support in VW allows which is quite
> nice is taking a shapshot which can then be restarted in a headless
> mode for debugging.

Eliot - Was this VM or image-side support?  Can you describe how it
worked?

> Not quite the same, but very neat:  The other day at Qwaq Craig
> Latta had a VM crash while running in a Parallels Linux VM under
> gdb.  He was able to give me a copy of the VM snapshot at the point
> where gdb stopped the process, giving me the opportunity to debug
> the live app at my leisure.  A cool idea.

In other words, he was already running the Qwaq VM under gdb, so when
the Qwaq VM crashed (and left him at a gdb prompt), he simply
suspended the Parallels Linux VM and sent you a copy of the suspended
Parallels Linux VM.  Is that right?

David