[squeak-dev] Greek letters and math equation displays

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 22:59:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Bert Freudenberg<bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 27.08.2009, at 19:14, Brad Fuller wrote:
>
>> Looking around for this on the swiki, but couldn't find exactly how I
>> could display greek letters easily in squeak (that is for a
>> presentation). Also, would like to display math equations as well.
>
> I guess we need a bit more information on your constraints. There are
> various ways, as you probably found out already. For example, one very easy
> way would be to make a screenshot of the equation you want to display, and
> drop it into Squeak ;)
>
> E.g. does it need to work on all platforms?

yes, but I could restrict it to windows if I had to.

> Does the font have to be in the
> image?

that would be preferable since I'm creating at home and using the
school's computers for display

> Do you just want to display, or type, too?

Yes, I'd like to be able to easily write it out in a text box, unless
there is an easier way.

>Which image are you using?

3.10, but I'll switch to whatever is best.

> Which VM? Etc. pp.

The one that comes with 3.10 on windows and mac (from the squeak.org site)

> Until we have proper font and input support in a release it is somewhat
> complicated. Then of course it becomes easy.
>
> One way I like particularly is this:
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-283
>
> It's the result of a recent discussion on the etoys-dev list:
>
> http://lists.squeakland.org/pipermail/etoys-dev/2009-July/003387.html
>
> Note that the squeakland list you cc'ed is for Etoys users. To reach the
> Etoys developers, please use this list:

Ah.. thanks!

Any ideas on math equations?

--