[squeak-dev] leadingChar proposal

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Aug 28 04:56:24 UTC 2009

At Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:29:53 -0700,
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:09:48 -0700,
> Andreas Raab wrote:
> >
> > What I would propose to do here is to define that "leadingChar = 0"
> > which currently means "Latin1 encoding, language neutral" is being
> > redefined to "Unicode encoding, language neutral". What this does is
> > that "Character value: 353" and "Unicode value: 353" become the same, if
> > the environment is considered language neutral which by default it would be.
>
>   Yes, if this is the basis, many things just follow.  For Pharo
> people I once suggested something similar (merging Unicode
> (EncodedCharSet be =0), thinking that they are less concerned with the
> backward compatibility.  There will be backward compatiblity issue
> (like even loading old Etoys projects, if the Etoys packaging work is
> ever done) but I think that it is mostly solvable, and probably for
> bigger Squeak community it is good.

  One question is the roadmap; I would think ByteStrings will be
retained for a while (or forever) but may be also phased out.  And
also it would be nice to tag ByteStrings.  The natural order may be to
try to move on to text attribute approach earlier so that the bare
representation doesn't matter much.  How do you think about these
things?

-- Yoshiki