[squeak-dev] Cuis font sizes

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 29 03:22:19 UTC 2009

Hi Juan -

This is mostly to Juan but others might be able to help as well. I
noticed that the Cuis fonts disagree in their pixel sizes significantly
with that we get from the plain DejaVu true type fonts in Squeak. A bit
of math reveals that at the (assumed) screen resolution of 96dpi a 12pt
font should result in 16px high font (12*96/72 see Eqn. 3 in [1]). The
corresponding Bitmap DejaVu 12pt font, however, is 19px high which would
mean a screen resolution of 114dpi (19*72/12).

Is this choice intentional? Unfortunately, none of the pixel sizes for
Bitmap DejaVu correspond exactly to a point size when assuming 96dpi.

The reason this is causing me grief is that I am trying to set up a
mechanism for allowing people to drop the DejaVu fonts into their images
and have any glyphs not part of the cuis fonts rendered in DejaVu
truetype instead. I can probably get the truetype rendering to spit out
a precise pixel size to match it but I think it'd be good if we had
clarity on how these pixel sizes came into being.

Any insights appreciated!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

[1] http://www.emdpi.com/emsquare.html