[squeak-dev] Graphical Application Where to Begin?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 31 11:58:28 UTC 2009

Hi John,

JohnReed Maffeo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It has been awhile since I have written, but I am back trying to continue work on an application that has been on hiatus for awhile.

Nice to see you around again.

> My current goal is to write a graphical interface to display geo-referenced data in a scrollable/zoomable window. I have written code to read data from a file and use it to create an instance of GraphicSymbol. I can display the object on a form and display the form. Now I want to start building a simple map browser application, but I don't know where to start. From what I understand, there is a lot of Morphic that will/should be deprecated. What can I do to ensure that my design conforms to the appropriate Morphic roadmap?

There isn't single and clear Morphic roadmap. From the discussions in
squeak-dev about one or 2 months ago, it seems that most people believe
that the current Morphic+Etoys API is a central part of Squeak. So, I
don't expect any major changes there, although there is some progress in
using ToolBuilder to make tools independent of the UI framework. If the
Toolbuilder offers what you need, it looks like a good option. Then you
have the Pharo fork. If you plan to use it, you'd check with them. You
can also use Cuis, my Squeak fork. In Cuis, Morphic is greatly reduced,
making everything much easier to understand. Finally, you have my
Morphic 3 project, that would help you do a high-quality zoomeable UI.
Unfortunately, I've been devoting all my time to Cuis and paid work
lately, so I'm not working much on Morphic 3 right now.

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The vision is to create a virtual landscape from a combination of elevation data ie a matrix of elevation points and planar features ie various lines that identify roads, rivers, boundaries etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John-Reed Maffeo

Oh! May be you need 3D... The I would suggest taking a close look at
Croquet and Cobalt.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich