[squeak-dev] Traits (was Re: Universal Composition and modules)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 3 15:38:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 12:53:47PM +0100, St?phane Rollandin wrote:
> G?ran Krampe a ?crit :
> >Lesson learned though: the environment and tools MUST follow at the same
> >time.
> >
> >I also note that the same lesson has been re-learned regarding Traits...
>
> If I remember correctly, Andreas once demonstrated in this list a much
> simpler implementation of Traits. What about getting rid of the current
> mostly unused (AFAIK) implementation and replacing it with simpler
> Traits while having the tools follow ?

What problem are you trying to solve? If we believe that the problem
is lack of tools integration, then we should fix that problem.

For whatever reason, nobody seems to care enough about this to do the
tools integration work. It is hard to imagine that adding a different
(and probably incompatible) implementation of traits would cause the
tools integration to happen any faster.

Traits seems to be an interesting experiment, and the folks who care
most about it are now working on Pharo images. I think that's an excellent
place for the experiment to proceed, and if it turns out to have any
useful results then I'm sure there will be interest in updating Squeak
tools to take advantage. Meantime, maintaining the the current Traits
in Squeak appears to be low effort, given that we adopt any bug fixes
that arise from the Pharo work.

Dave