[squeak-dev] Re: Alternatives to SMTPClient?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Dec 4 17:56:08 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:

> 2) Isn't the domain included in HELO/EHLO supposed to be the server's
> domain? You're using NetNameResolver localHostName which (in my
> understanding of the RFC) would only be correct when connecting to
> localhost.

Sort of - SMTP is a peer to peer protocol, which means your server
talking to their server. When you send HELO you use your server's name
and their server's name will be in the reply. Normally email software
has some complex configuration to determine what name the local server
should use, but if that is missing then using localHostName seems like a
good option.

-- Jecel