[squeak-dev] stdio

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Dec 5 23:36:47 UTC 2009

On 04.12.2009, at 18:28, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:58:28AM -0500, Jason Rogers wrote:
>> Would it be possible to have Xtreams on STDIN, STDOUT, STDERR? Of
>> would that require use of OSProcess?
>
> On most unix boxes you should be able to use /dev/stdout as if it
> were a file, thus OSProcess should not be necessary. You'll need
> OSProcess if you want to set stdin for non-blocking reads to prevent
> blocking the VM.

Unfortunately, this does not work as reliably as actually using FDs 0, 1, and 2. I encountered at least one production system where I had to work around the issue on the VM level (*).

Since the VM maintainers didn't like my hack (which I can understand), maybe we could finally add the necessary primitives. There have been a couple proposals already. I'm not quite sure why none made it into the VM.

- Bert -

(*) http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8194