[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Files-nice.48.mcz

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Dec 7 19:16:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Simple, I use this in my benchmarks :)
> The test coverage for file streams is so poor... (maybe we'd better
> not dig too deep, we might discover weird behaviors)

Yes it's almost zero. With green tests I had a few hard to debug errors. I
hope we can replace FileStream and it's subclasses with something better
soon. :)

> Anyway, thank you for the good job. You made integration of buffered
> read stream quite a simple thing that works
> (probably the simplest that could possibly work).

Basically yes, though I reimplemented it from scratch (for fun), but took
several ideas from your implementation. One of the big misteries was that
#next:into:startingAt: didn't work with non-byte based variable classes
(like WordArray and Bitmap). That's because the primitive used by
#replaceFrom:to:with:startingAt: cannot copy from a byte based
variable class to a word based one, but the non-primitive version of the
same method can and it doesn't do it the same way as
#primRead:into:startingAt:count: does.

Levente