[squeak-dev] news from the Xtream front

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Dec 8 22:23:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Eliot Miranda wrote:

>> On a tangental note one can save significant time by having
>> StandardSourceFilesArray cache read-only copies instead of creating new ones
>> all the time.  Find a change set attached that we use at Teleplace.  You
>> might find more places to use this than I have.

Simultaneous access (doesn't have to be parallel) to shared resources
(filestreams in this case) can cause problems.

> Henrik Johansen to me
> show details 11:42 AM (20 minutes ago)
>
> I'm not subscribed to SqueakDev, but here's one worthwhile addition:
>
> Benchies:
> [CompiledMethod allInstances collect: [:each | each getSource] ] timeToRun
>

> With caching: 17344
> Without caching:  25721

I guess these numbers are for pharo (assuming that caching means that the
patch is loaded). I didn't experience any difference in squeak with the
patch, mainly because #getSource uses the global streams from SourceFiles
(this is a problem, because debugging this method may cause problems if
the debugger is fetching or modifying the source) instead of creating
read-only copies. But other places can have benefits, like #timestamp
(~1.5 speedup).

Levente