[squeak-dev] Image Versions (Re: Trunk image size)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Dec 11 11:42:14 UTC 2009

On 11.12.2009, at 10:14, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>> My point is this.
>> The update number is not only a commodity.
>> If we have ...
>>> Image: Squeak3.10.2 [latest update: #7179]
>> Its unclear the point in the process the image is
>> But if we got
>>> Image: Squeak3.10.2 [latest update: #7234]
>
> I see. And I agree. But I'll have to repeat what I said earlier: We need a workable solution to the problem. If anyone has an idea what we can do please propose it.

My proposal is in the inbox (update trunk first).

Name: System-bf.193
Author: bf
Time: 11 December 2009, 12:38:45.256 pm
UUID: 4609ebf3-3481-4f3a-99d6-1c4e9534d2fa
Ancestors: System-nice.192

- after updating, set the current system version to the latest date found in all system packages. Also set the highest update number to the sum of version numbers.

>> When finish 3.10.2 ? What have us chained to such number?
>
> Nothing. Really just that we'd have to decide whether the next version is going to be called 3.11 or 4.1 (i.e., 4.0 MIT/SFC + trunk). From my perspective the "trunk" nomenclature relates to work in progress; it can either be based on the last or the next version and does't make much difference.
>
> If people feel we should move forward we can do this at any time. So shall we just call the current trunk 3.11 alpha? (and if we get to 4.0, i.e., complete the SFC process, we can simply abandon 3.11 and instead go straight to 4.1)
>
> Does that sound like a plan?
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

+1