[squeak-dev] Re: Image Versions (Re: Trunk image size)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Dec 11 17:14:13 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> My proposal is in the inbox (update trunk first).
>
> Name: System-bf.193
> Author: bf
> Time: 11 December 2009, 12:38:45.256 pm
> UUID: 4609ebf3-3481-4f3a-99d6-1c4e9534d2fa
> Ancestors: System-nice.192
>
> - after updating, set the current system version to the latest date found in all system packages. Also set the highest update number to the sum of version numbers.

I like it. For the base number, how about we add a stub package that
identifies the base number? Right now this would be
Squeak-Version-foobar.4662.mcz.

This would allow us to deal with package removals, i.e., when we remove
a package we manually bump that version by the version of the removed
package which also allows us to add a comment along the lines of
"removed package foo bar; bumped base version by X". Without something
like this we're risking to run backwards in versions during removals.

Cheers,
   - Andreas