Release candidates / process (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Image Versions (Re: Trunk image size))

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Dec 12 00:28:42 UTC 2009

On 12.12.2009, at 01:06, Ronald Spengler wrote:

> I'd like to suggest:
>
> Prior to release, a release candidate *image* is cut. Only bug fixes
> go into this, and would also be applied to the trunk.
>
> This is a pretty common agile tactic which allows releases to
> stabilize without ever halting development on the mainline.

IMHO that tactic would only be advantageous in larger teams. In our case we can't effort to split. If hacking continues on the mainline, who do you think will work on the release branch? Are you volunteering? (*)

With a (reasonably short) freeze, everybody should be eager to help getting the release out of the door, so they can get back to the fun hacking. Everybody is testing. Everyone fixes bugs, and only bugs.

IMHO "halting (feature) development on the mainline" would be a Good Thing.

- Bert -

(*) That's a rhetoric question. We don't want to put the development effort on a too small release team again.