[squeak-dev] Packages, Packages, Packages

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 18:02:58 UTC 2009

One of the differences between Seaside 2.8.3 and Seaside 3.0 is that the
packages must be loaded in a specific order. You cannot install them
piecemeal. That's why builder.seaside.st was created. It looks as though
Dale's abstracting this problem and solving it with Metacello. I think that
we should look at this project very carefully. I think Miguel is right to
say SM and Universes are not really in our future.

@Colin

I remember reading Edgar saying he was using Monticello for delivering
files. And you said he should be using sar. You say it's not a package
management system, but a package versioning system. As usual, your posts
make clear - starkly clear - distinctions, but I think you're missing
something. The intent of what you created is irrelevant. How people use the
tool shows its actual value to the community. If that's not how you
envisioned it, then that doesn't matter. If I want to use a butter knife as
a screwdriver to fix the toaster, and it works, then that's all that
matters.

Whether you admit it or not, Monticello is used as a package management
system. And yes, that kind of sucks. The day I don't have to go to
SqueakSource to get the proper path name for a project I want to install,
and I can just do it from my image like the SMPL or Universes, then that
will be a good day.

Chris