[squeak-dev] Re: Packages, Packages, Packages

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Dec 12 21:05:09 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-12, at 10:14 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> The Sake and Bob [1] projects were announced more than a half year
> earlier than Metacello, but there are few people who ever took time to
> evaluate it (including me).
> But sure, why we would need to ever look at it, if we got a new shiny toy?

I don't know if Dale looked into Sake and Bob, but they wouldn't have fulfilled his needs in any case. Metacello needs to run on Gemstone as well as Squeak, which Sake and Bob don't.

Before writing Mason, I did look into Sake and Bob. Sake doesn't meet one of my core needs, which is that the image being built does *not* need to have the build tool loaded. This provides a lot more flexibility in terms of what can be built, and Sake doesn't provide that.

Colin