[squeak-dev] Re: [Pkg] The Trunk: Compression-ul.10.mcz

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Dec 13 00:07:21 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/12/12 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
>> Am 12.12.2009 um 15:20 schrieb commits at source.squeak.org:
>>> Levente Uzonyi uploaded a new version of Compression to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Compression-ul.10.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Compression-ul.10
>>> Author: ul
>>> Time: 12 December 2009, 2:18:43 am
>>> UUID: 070e2365-df5f-514e-8d90-fa49c065cb01
>>> Ancestors: Compression-edc.9
>>>
>>> - replace sends of #ifNotNilDo: to #ifNotNil:, #ifNil:ifNotNilDo: to #ifNil:ifNotNil:, #ifNotNilDo:ifNil: to #ifNotNil:ifNil:
>> Why?
>>

> IMO, Consistency.
> We should deprecate use of #ifNotNilDo: and friends, since now
> compiler is fixed and supports 0/1 arguments in the #ifNotNil: arg.

Fair enough but let's try hard to make sure that these are actual
improvements and not just another cleansing jihad along the lines of
"ZOMG, you are using foo at: 1 instead of foo first???? TEH SKY IS
FALLING!!!".

(and in case you wonder the difference is that #ifNotNilDo: was in fact
a workaround for #ifNotNil: whereas #at: is not a workaround for #first
but a completely separate protocol and used independently - and
consequently where the first really can create more consistency the
latter achieves absolutely nothing and is an incorrect transformation to
boot)

Cheers,
   - Andreas