[squeak-dev] Re: Packages, Packages, Packages

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 13 03:55:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 06:01:55PM -0600, Miguel Cob? wrote:

> Why would you want to do that. 3.8 is dead, must be dead and should be kill.
> Let the past behind. Let your childs live their lives and go on. You
> can't oversee them *your* entire life. Squeak can't remain trying to
> get backwards compatibility forever. That way squeak will never make the
> foundation changes that needs.

<rant>
  This is complete utter bullshit. Failing to make a reasonable attempt
  at backward compatibility is lazy and sloppy, nothing more.

  Norton's third law of innovation:
    Change is good, stupid is bad. Don't confuse the two.
</rant>

Ok I feel better now. There are some rather significant forks based on
Squeak 3.8, and any package management system that fails to accomodate
this level of variation is in trouble. SqueakMap fell apart when Squeak
3.9 came along for this very reason, and we can reasonably expect that
future variations on Squeak will introduce similar incompatibilities.
This is a good thing, and our tools do need to be flexible enough to
support it.

Dave