[squeak-dev] Re: A reengineering the CompiledMethod trailers

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Dec 14 01:01:17 UTC 2009

Ken G. Brown wrote:
> At 12:14 AM +0200 12/14/09, Igor Stasenko apparently wrote:
> Not sure how this relates exactly but there has been quite a bit of work in the past re: Virtual Image 4.0 format.
> See:
> New Compiled Method Format
> <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/750>
>
> and:
> VI4 project
> <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2119>

It doesn't relate. There may be some inspiration for how to deal with
source pointers but to be honest, I find Igors approach vastly more
useful since it doesn't immediately add a megabyte or more to the image
size (which would happen if you go to an explicit source pointer
representation) but rather makes the encoding explicitly accessible.

Go Igor!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

PS. The only person who I'd like to explicitly comment (even if only to
say "that's fine") is Eliot, since he might have some additional
thoughts about some of this stuff which relate to Cog.