[squeak-dev] Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8472-alpha.zip)

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:34:58 UTC 2009

Hi:

2009/12/13 Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar>:

> On 12/13/09 7:43 PM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> 1. Packages that should be in the core image
>>     (e.g., Kernel, Compiler, Collections)
>
> >From my experiments the small set could be
>
> Collections
> Compiler
> Compression
> Exceptions
> Files
> Graphics
> Kernel
> Monticello
> Morphic
> MorphicExtras
> Multilingual
> Network
> PackageInfo
> Protocols
> ST80
> Services
> System
> ToolBuilder
> Tools
> Traits
>
> Maybe we could go deep and some of this could be sub sets of working image
> (Ladrillos idea)
>
>> 2. Packages that should be in the default image
>
> Difficult question. I suppose no way all agree , but you could start a "Vote
> for favorite packages et all " poll.

I think that being a product mainly for developers, should include dev tools
in the default image. I'm not talking about web tools, that should be loaded by
the user at his own request, but.....yes about more widely used tools as:

-OmniBrowser (full w/Refactory and tools) (If most people use it)
-AutomaticMethodCategorizer/AutomaticMethodCategorizerOB
-Syntax Highlighting (Shout Workspace / Shout OB / Shout Monticello)
-OCompletion (Alternatively eCompletion/Algernon)
-Some parsers (XML, HTML) ?
-Magritte ?
-Criptography ?
-Others ?

> And what is the default? Actual 3.11 ? Some bigger 'a la Fun' ?
>
>> 3. Packages that should be trivially loadable
>>     (e.g., Seaside, Aida)
>
> Here for the most used we should have info trough www.squeak/
> I think we have, but just in case...

I have a doubt if we should maintain a full image bigger with all
packages/web tools and so,
may be is useful to newbies....but is more work (to maintainers) and
need a decision
about what packages to include, I mean: If a web developer uses
Seaside, will not
need Aida and vice-versa.

Then, on my pov, we should have:

-A core image, as small as possible;

-A default image (may be with some developers packages as I'm proposing)

-A full image? Not sure if we should provide officialy (except some
people have time to build it) but we should take care that most of
packages load/unload ok (Well, that is the topic of the most threads
on these days, about what tools/methods use to build images).

Just some ideas to share....

Cheers.
Germán.