[squeak-dev] VMmaker install problem on latest Trunk

Merik Voswinkel macmerik at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 14 14:09:59 UTC 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 12:33 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 07:24:42PM +0100, Merik Voswinkel wrote:
>>
>> I would like to ask David and Tim a few more questions to
>>
>> - Since you started maintaining VMMaker, did you make any changes to
>> the InterpreterSimulator? I can of course go through all the updates
>> and find it in your notes there, but it appears to me you did not
>> work
>> on InterpreterSimulator?
>
> Very little work has been on on InterpreterSimulator, so it is very
> possible that updates are needed here. The interpreter itself has not
> changed much over the years, with the notable exception of Eliot's
> changes to add support for block closures.

That is the only change I found as well. Thanks.

>> - are you familiar with the methods coerceTo:sim: in class ByteSymbol
>> and the missing #swapBytesFrom:to: in class Bitmap?
>>
>> -There is a methods coerceTo:sim:in class Bitmap though, maybe they
>> where mixed up?
>>

> I believe that there was some recent discussion of this on the list,
> although I do not recall the issue right now.

That was on Januari 22nd 2009, not about a specific issue.

> These are methods that
> are meaningful in the translation to C but that would do nothing in
> simulation mode. Can you explain the issue that you are having?

The issues are objects created as ByteSymbol>>coerceTo:sim: that
should have been BitMap objects type instead.
And a missing BitMap>> #swapBytesFrom:to; method.

I think the errors are related to images that are not the same version
as the Trunk image (possibly because that is now a closure type image).

I'll debug some more and then file a bug in Mantis.

Thank you for the info, I saved me a lot of time figuring it out.

Cheers,

Merik