[squeak-dev] Stuff

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 01:23:52 UTC 2009

On 16 Dec 2009, at 00:41, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Piece by piece, increasing the growth of community's knowledge about
> what the Bob is.
>
> You can sell anything, if you know how to get people interested.
> Keith, your main fault is that you don't care about selling it to
> people, instead you quit. No matter how great product is, it  can't
> sell itself.

I don't care about promoting of documenting Bob because because, I
can't. I haven't been paid since April, and the actions of the board
etc have a lot to do with that. Writing this email,  coding Bob, or
even writing emails about Bob doesn't pay the bills. The code is all
there. Seaside users didn't need documentation. You lot (aka the
board) collectively turned working with squeak from being a joy to
being a nightmare.

Secondly, I am not going to compete, I don't have the will or energy
to compete. I shouldn't be put into the position of having to compete.
The board has a process of accepting proposals precisely because open
competition of ideas, and whims in the market place isn't going to be
of any use if you want to plan an approach properly.  We were supposed
to be a collaborating community, and Andreas turned it into something
completely different in a single email, he should have come to me and
asked how he could serve the existing vision, instead he chose to
replace it, without discussion.

You either want the vision or you don't, if you want it contribute to
it, don't compete against it. I am not able to document Bob or promote
it because I don't have the time, energy, motivation or will to do so.
Having been sucked dry by having everything I ever said or did
systematically ignored now you turn on your wounded, accusing me of
corroding the atmosphere.

This corrosion was an inevitable consequence of having two leaders who
are tasked with the same job. The board followed a path which had
inevitable consequences. This fraction was the inevitable path chosen
by the board. Any one with half a brain would have seen it coming. I
didn't do anything to cause it, or to corrode anything.

I quit fundamentally because you cant work with people who treat you
like shit, or people whose organizational structure and policies
inevitably will result in people being treated like shit. All it takes
is for one new person to be elected to the board, and Andreas could
find all of his work discarded too. If there anyone who would like to
run for the board with the ticket "Lets build the next squeak on pharo
core", I for one will vote for you, and we can throw this unplanned,
unmanageable trunk chaos thing away.

I have repeatedly stated that until the board has established its
terms of engagement there is nothing more that can be done, and having
watched 4 years of work be routinely discarded piece by piece, I don't
feel inclined to throw more good effort after bad.

However I do think that it behoves me to point out whenever I can just
how much time and effort the boards actions have wasted, and how much
code and progress they have thrown in the bin, because those "terms of
engagement" are still needed.

Keith