[squeak-dev] Re: A 1 million bucks question :)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Dec 16 10:51:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Question for the Unix folks: If we know that what you get via package install
> is most likely very old, would it make sense to check inside Squeak whether a
> new version is available? I.e., just a simple
>
> (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org/current_version') = SystemVersion
> current ifFalse:[self inform: 'A new version of Squeak has become available.
> Would you like to install it now?'].
>
> might help get people more accustomed with later developments. Would that be
> a sensible thing to do?

If it will run after the startscript then maybe :). It's already really
annoying when one wants to start an image without display from the
commandline and the image stops before the script runs, because the
sources file is not available and a dialog box is waiting for the user to
click OK... This should be fixed someday too.

Btw, IIRC 3.8 had something like this.

Levente