[squeak-dev] Re: Unix updates

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Dec 16 18:36:44 UTC 2009

>>>>> "José" == José Luis Redrejo <jredrejo at gmail.com> writes:

José>  or have any way to
José> demonstrate (working from the OS, not inside Squeak) that the image contains
José> only free code.

Isn't that a bit like saying that they can't include any OpenOffice documents
because they can't tell "working from the OS, not inside OpenOffice" that the
documents contains only free text?

At what point did we forget how to deal with binary files?

The image file is just a binary file.  The Squeak VM is its
reader/manipulator, in the same way as a postgres database is a binary file,
and postgres is its reader/manipulator.

Probably the only thing we're missing is a way to generate a definitive
complete text-dump version of the .image, preferrably one that won't show
spurious differences when a changeset is applied.