[squeak-dev] [Q] What's the right size of specialObjectsArray ?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 13:29:22 UTC 2009

Some plugins, like FFI (and i expect some others) extending the
special objects array with couple more entries.

What i thinking about, is that how we could make this scheme more flexible.
The problem with current implementation is that if i made a plugin,
which needs some additional special object(s),
it should reserve a couple more slots in specialObjectsArray.

And it creates a bottleneck, since you need to tell all other
developers, that you reserving these slots for own plugin.
Maybe a better scheme would be to tell VM to associate a name with given object,
so then plugin could fetch that object by symbolic name.
This is a bit slower than fetching by index, but more flexible, since
we no longer dependent on rigid & static size of specialobjects array
and
its slots meanings.

--
Best regards,