[squeak-dev] Future examples (Re: Inbox: #future keyword for asynchronous message invocation)

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Fri Dec 18 15:53:01 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-18, at 1:01 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:

>> Pretty interesting. I'm a bit ambivalent about a magic compiler change like this, but you make a pretty strong case for it's usefulness.
>
> That's why Andreas asked me to add the FutureMaker class and the Object future/future: implementations.  The same semantics are implemented without any compiler magic; the addition of FutureNode to the compiler is then merely an optimization.

In that case I'd say let's hold off on the compiler changes, until we find that we're using #future so much that it should be inlined.

BTW, what's the larger plan here? Do you want to introduce Islands as well? Bring Squeak and Croquet closer together so that (eventually) Croquet can be based on a Squeak base image? I do see a lot of value in this stuff, and I think it would be a great way to formalize the implicit event loop that we have with Morphic. On the other hand, this is the tip of a very large iceberg, and navigating might be easier if we had a destination in mind.

Colin