[squeak-dev] Re: Future examples (Re: Inbox: #future keyword for asynchronous message invocation)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Dec 18 16:29:09 UTC 2009

Colin Putney wrote:
> BTW, what's the larger plan here? Do you want to introduce Islands as well? Bring Squeak and Croquet closer together so that (eventually) Croquet can be based on a Squeak base image? I do see a lot of value in this stuff, and I think it would be a great way to formalize the implicit event loop that we have with Morphic. On the other hand, this is the tip of a very large iceberg, and navigating might be easier if we had a destination in mind.

Bringing Squeak and Croquet closer together is one of the less important
goals for me personally. But future messaging is valuable outside of
Croquet; and the real goal for me is to improve the support for
concurrency and distributed computation in general (think Erlang).
Lock-free communication is a really interesting starting point because
it enables many other things. Croquet is a natural part of this but it's
not the end goal.

Cheers,
   - Andreas