[squeak-dev] Re: Modular Plugins

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Dec 21 19:51:36 UTC 2009

David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 09:04:21AM +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>> 2. Generate support header files like sqVirtualMachine.h along with *Plugin.c
>> file, so that the code can be built independent of the VM directory layout.
>> This will be useful while porting sq*.c files to a different platform - say like
>> hacking device names or timings.
>
> What to folks think about this idea? I think that the intent of this
> suggestion is to make it potentially easer to generate and build an
> individual plugin without the need to build the entire VM. The
> down side would be that it could cause problems for the people
> who write and support the platform code.

I'm not sure what is meant with the above. Most plugin header files are
not generated but hand written. Those that are (interp.h etc) already
are generated side-by-side with the plugin code. So I'm not sure what is
being requested here.

(I will make one side note though that in the past on Win32 VMMaker
copied all of hand written and generated files into a single directory
precisely to simplify the build structure. This, however had a major
disadvantage for maintenance since there wasn't an easy way to ensure
that the files in the build match the files in SVN. As a consequence, I
opted for a more complex build structure to leave the files in their
original location)

Cheers,
   - Andreas