[squeak-dev] Modular Plugins

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 07:14:29 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 11:43:34 pm David T. Lewis wrote:
> What to folks think about this idea? I think that the intent of this
> suggestion is to make it potentially easer to generate and build an
> individual plugin without the need to build the entire VM. The
> down side would be that it could cause problems for the people
> who write and support the platform code.
Yes. that is my intent and I expect that it would simplify life for people who
know platform (say iPhone or Maemo) but not Squeak VM.

Say Joe Gizmo wants to port plug P to gizmo platform.

1. Download p-1.1.zip from squeakvm. Extract to:
     /tmp/p-1.1/
                README, Changelog ....
                p.cs
                unix/configure, sqUnixp.c  .....
                win32/p.prj, sqWin32p.c ...
2. Joe fires up VMM on his host platform and files in p.cs. He then generates:
    /tmp/p-1.1/
                p.c
                sqVirtualMachine.h
    (can this be run in batch mode?)

3. Joe port unix/* files to gizmo/, making necessary changes.
    /tmp/p-1.1/
                gizmo/configure, sqGizmop.c sqGizmop.h,...
    sqGizmop.c will refer to include directory ../ for sqVirtualMachine.h
    and link against p.o generated from ../p.c

   Changes in gizmo/ are checked into SVN and /tmp/p-1.1 is archived as p.zip

4. Joe unpacks archive on target platform in
      /tmp/p-src/
 and builds the binaries in
      /tmp/p-gizmo/
           ../p-src/gizmo/configure; make
5. The new plugin is ready to be loaded and tested in his target squeak image.
Changes in gizmo/* sources are checked back into SVN.

6. Once tested, p.zip can be uploaded to squeakvm as p-1.2.zip for general
consumption.

Subbu