2GB changes file and a pony (was: [squeak-dev] ALL CLEAR (Re: CompiledMethodTrailers ready for use))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 23 14:43:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:27:29AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/12/23 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
> > On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 01:59:34PM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> >> Folks -
> >>
> >> We're all clear now after the CompiledMethodTrailer changes.
> >> Can I have a 2GB changes file now? And a pony? :)
> >>

> > Here's the 2GB changes file patch. File it in, run tests, install
> > with ExpandedSourceFileArray install.
> >

> so, we're now bound to VM file-size handling limitation, or its using
> 64-bits for file pointers?
> 2GB is better than 32M.. but still small :)

Now that CompiledMethod can address unlimited address space, all
that was required was to is to implement three small methods in
a subclass of SourceFileArray (*). So if somebody invents a file
system that maps to all the particles in the universe, we can
easily expand the changes file to make use if it. And as you point
out in another message, it should now be easier to map to things
that are not traditional file systems at all, which does open up
some interesting possibilities.

(*) BTW, I did not put much effort into computational efficiency
in those three methods, no doubt there is room for improvement.

Dave