[squeak-dev] Re: Modular Plugins

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Dec 23 15:55:18 UTC 2009

K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 December 2009 01:21:36 am Andreas Raab wrote:
>> David T. Lewis wrote:
>>> What to folks think about this idea? I think that the intent of this
>>> suggestion is to make it potentially easer to generate and build an
>>> individual plugin without the need to build the entire VM. The
>>> down side would be that it could cause problems for the people
>>> who write and support the platform code.
>> I'm not sure what is meant with the above. Most plugin header files are
>> not generated but hand written. Those that are (interp.h etc) already
>> are generated side-by-side with the plugin code. So I'm not sure what is
>> being requested here.
> Files like sq.h, sqMemoryAccess.h, sqVirtualMachine.h are all generated by

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. None of these files are generated; they
are hand-edited and checked into SVN, see

http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Cross/vm/

> VMM. The current procedure assumes that all plugins are being generated at
> once along with the vm. It does not consider the case where someone is working
> on a plugin outside the vm source tree. For a plugin where only a few hundred
> lines of code are involved, full vm sources are an overkill.

Yes, and there's no need for that. I've successfully written plugins
that either had a very small or even no Slang plugin behind it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas