[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] freetype plugin on os-x squeak v5.0 -> goes to 5.1

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Dec 26 04:23:53 UTC 2009

Ok after  a day of slugging thru bits between way too much turkey I reworked the freetype plugin code so that it now works with 64bit VMs running 32bit images.

There was a slight mistruth in the freetype header.

  /*************************************************************************/
  /*                                                                       */
  /* <Type>                                                                */
  /*    FT_Pos                                                             */
  /*                                                                       */
  /* <Description>                                                         */
  /*    The type FT_Pos is a 32-bit integer used to store vectorial        */
  /*    coordinates.  Depending on the context, these can represent        */
  /*    distances in integer font units, or 16.16, or 26.6 fixed float     */
  /*    pixel coordinates.                                                 */
  /*                                                                       */
  typedef signed long  FT_Pos;

Yes sure it's a 32bit number stored in a 64bit integer. Unfortunately when you map that to your handy IntegerArray instance, you get whiteness.
There were of course a few other places where "Oops" oops is a object reference, it's NOT a memory address, it can become one if you use the proper routine tho.
Once that was all corrected then it works.

I'm not able to check the FT2Plugin changes in yet because of a missing password.

Now in order to make this all work I had to recompile the Squeak VM so that it exposes the object memory base memory address so the plugin can find it.
So you'll find 5.1 at...

http://smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html

at the usual places, look in the experimental folder for the  "64bit"  directory then for the 64bit VM 32 bit image directory "32bitImage*64bitVM"
and the zipped VM "Squeak 64/32 5.1b1.app.zip"

Confirmation that it works elsewhere than my computer is welcome.  PS yes please check on 32bit intel, 32/64bit intel, and 32bit powerpc.

I'll build a 64bit version for 64bit images at some point in the future, but I think I'll look at the hostmenu logic first to get mac menus back.