[squeak-dev] Re: Cosmetic: move or remove a few temps inside closures

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Dec 28 00:51:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Why? As long as auto-declare temps inserts temps at method level and
>>> auto-remove of unused temps simply fails for block-level temps, this
>>> policy would be annoying at best.
>>
>> Because the code is cleaner and faster.
>
> Cleaner? How so? Why are temps scattered throughout a method "cleaner"?

You can clearly see the purpose of the variables if they are defined
where they are used. You don't have review all parts of large methods if
you want to know what is happening. Etc.

> Faster? Which benchmark is improved? By how much exactly?

I guess only by a tiny bit, I didn't bother measuring. Blocks
don't touch outer contexts, less local variables in the method, objects
can be GC'd sooner. Sounds like better performance.

> Not that I'm arguing all temps should always be at method level but neither
> do I think all temps at block-level should be considered the only acceptable
> variant. There is a trade-off which comes from various ways of using the
> tools (for example visibility of a temp during debugging) and the writer of
> the method should be allowed to decide which temps to move to block-level and
> which ones not. For example, there is absolutely no difference between:

I agree, but I think pushing the temporaries into the innermost context
where they are used is useful. Noone is forcing anyone to do so.

> mumble: arg
>  | foo bar baz |
>  1 to: arg do:[:i| ...].
>
> and
>
> mumble: arg
>  1 to: arg do:[:i| | foo bar baz | ...].
>
> (except that I find the latter slightly harder to understand) Just like with
> block-formatting, some people prefer it one way, some people the other and
> the one-size-fits-all approach of forcing one's own prejudices on everyone
> else is *extremely* problematic from my point of view. There is room for
> differences in writing code and just because they're different doesn't mean
> one way is strictly better and one way is strictly worse.

I agree, that's why I'm not rewriting all methods to fit my taste. :) I
know that everyone who cares formatting the methods prefers his/her own version.

I think about blocks as unnamed functions and the syntax reflects this
too. The unnamed version of:

foo: aFoo bar: aBar

is

: aFoo : aBar

Now people are lazy and skip the space:

[ :aFoo :aBar |

Following this idea, the temporaries can be formatted the same way in
blocks and methods:

mumble: arg
    1 to: arg do: [ :i |
       | foo bar baz |
       ...].

And it's readable (IMO).

> If there's an advantage for the compiler to have temps be block-local, then
> let the compiler deal with it, not the user. If we decide that we should
> encourage to define temps at the innermost block-scope then let's fix the
> tools to support that properly.

I think the tools should support defining variables in the innermost scope
and removing variables from inner scopes. Adding a preference for the
first may be useful too.

Levente