[squeak-dev] Re: Some questions about new traits (Crismas edition) ; )

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Mon Dec 28 15:37:57 UTC 2009

On 2009.12.28 14:00, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> 2009/12/28 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>>
>> AFAIK, Pharo cleaned-up some stuff , removed this particular trait.
>> I am however, think that putting traits in use for core classes having
>> one VERY IMPORTANT aspect,
>
> Over my dead body. I am just going to great length to clean up after
> the insane amount of complexity in a core part of the system caused
> directly by the use of MI. And you are asking for *more* traits? Could
> someone please come up with ONE example where MI (traits in
> particular) solve an *actual* problem and not just some academic BS?

The notion of Traits is an essential part of the concept of DCI and my
DCI implementation. There are other DCI implementations in C++, Scala,
Python, C#, and even Java (with the Qi4J framework). Some languages have
native Traits or similar, other languages need complex workarounds.

DCI uses Traits to code what a system *DOES* (Interactions) and regular
classes for coding what the system *IS* (Data). Data and Interaction are
orthogonal perspectives on a program. DCI does not use Traits for
traditional, class based programming.

Cheers
--Trygve

---

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: trygver at ifi.uio.no

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway