[squeak-dev] Trivial questions?

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Thu Dec 31 16:36:07 UTC 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 12:29 AM, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Dear Smalltalker, I'm trying to get into Smalltalk a bit more
> seriously. I'm especially currently trying to get into Seaside
> programmming and the persistence of Objects. I found GLASS, which seems
> to be remarkabel in that aspect.

Welcome!

> Now I wonder
>
> 1) How does one do versioning in Smalltalk. AFAIU it seems, one files
> out ChangeSets which then can be read in in another image. Am I wrong
> about that?

As mentioned, Monticello is typically used in Squeak/Pharo/Gemstone. Other dialects (implementations) of Smalltalk have their own, proprietary approach to code versioning. In Cincom Smalltalk it is Store; in VA Smalltalk it is Envy; and in Dolphin it is Source Tracking System.

I discussed how GemStone handles this in a recent presentation. You can watch it by selecting the video on class versions at http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/smalltalks-2/.

GemStone's Programming Guide has an entire chapter on migrating objects. See "Class Versions and Instance Migration" in the Programming Guide found (near the bottom right) at http://seaside.gemstone.com/about.html.

> Would you mind to share your experiences?

The great thing about Smalltalk, is that objects encapsulate state and behavior, and the only access to the state is by sending a message. In a dynamic system (like Smalltalk), the sender of the message does not know the position (or even the existence) of instance variables, so the receiver can "intercept" the request and choose to handle it in its own way. Thus, if a person has a dateOfBirth but not an age instance variable, a request for an age can return the correct answer by calculating the age from the dateOfBirth.

> Regards
> Friedrich
>
> --
> Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
> Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Keep those questions coming!

James Foster
http://programminggems.wordpress.com/