[squeak-dev] Apology for offensive spam on annoncements list

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Wed Feb 4 08:49:16 UTC 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 12:17 AM, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi Stéphane,
>
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM, stephane ducasse
> <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
>> On our kids wiki in 1998 we got really stupid and ugly picture
>> posted and I
>> never understood
>> so we just blocked the pages (but there were not smalltalkers I
>> imagine).
>
> please clarify: do you really believe that a person using Smalltalk is
> "good" (in the pure ethical sense) by default? Your comments suggest
> this, I'd just like to know.

I don't see why this is such a stretch.  Certainly, the generalization
won't always be true... I'm sure that there exist Smalltalkers who get
their kicks from crass vandalism, and we probably have more than our
share of evil geniuses hatching schemes to extort beeellions of Euros
(hi Tim!).  However, it seems to me that Smalltalkers are more
motivated by Truth and Beauty than the average programmer (they're
certainly not in it for the most plentiful jobs or the biggest
money!).  If this is true, it follows that they're less likely to
engage in Ugly Ugly website vandalism.  I'm sure that Stephane doesn't
mean to imply that Smalltalkers are perfect, infallible beings.

Cheers,
Josh