[squeak-dev] Status of 4.0

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Mon Feb 16 02:02:42 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Eliot" == Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> writes:

Eliot> Mathew,  and others,
Eliot>     are you interested in using the closure compiler and VM extensions I've
Eliot> done at Qwaq in 4.0?  These provide ANSI closures with no peformance
Eliot> degradation and a very small (5 bytecode) increment to the VM.

(Wearing my Leadership Team hat for a moment...)

My initial thought is that I want 3.10.2 and 4.0 to be as close as possible,
differing only in license-mandated issues, so that SFC will have as little
work as possible to do to assist us with the verification.

However, I *would* like those extensions in a release soon.  I imagine
that shortly after we get 4.0 released and stabilized, the 3.11 work
will be folded in to make 4.1, and your changes can go in then as well.
The exact incorporation process is up to the Release Team though.