[squeak-dev] Status of 4.0

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 01:50:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 06:18:15PM -0800, John M McIntosh wrote:
> >
> > On 15-Feb-09, at 6:06 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> > >Works for me.  When and if the VM is no longer backwards-compatible
> > >(e.g. the Stack VM) one can move to 5.0.
> > >However, I would recommend getting the VM changes into the 4.0 VM as
> > >this will make migrating to image-level closures much easier.  I
> > >believe (John, can you confirm) that John's latest Mac 3.8 beta VMs
> > >have included the closure bytecodes.
> >
> > Well I've not done that (yet) was waiting on Eliot for the latest VM
> > changes before christmas. Then I've been
> > distracted by an iPhone application.
> >
> > I recall David T and I last discussed the issues around the source
> > code changes and how it cheerfully
> > upgrades your image, which then makes it un-run-able  on the raft of
> > VMs one has on one's machine, but
> > I recall we thought we could tie the image version change on save to
> > only happen if in fact the image
> > *uses* the closure bytes code.
>
> Right, Eliot's bytecode changes are fully backward compatible, so they
> can be added to VMMaker without breaking anything. The image version
> numbering change needs to be left out for now, but that's a small issue
> that can be the subject of separate discussion.

I've fixed the image numbering version issue.  The VM has a variable holding
the version number which is initialized to teh standard version.  If the
create-closure bytecode is evaluated it changes to the new version.  Hence
the VM can safely be used for both old and new and will not change the image
version unless it should be changed.

Eliot, if you can confirm that the bytecode changes are ready for
> release, and that the license is <whatever>, then I'll volunteer to
> add your bytecode bootstrap changes to the Squeaksource VMMaker project
> and make whatever minor changes are needed to avoid the image numbering
> glitch.

They're ready for your and John's review.  See
    Name: VMMaker-eem.114