[squeak-dev] Why the Board should have only seven seats ?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Feb 20 01:33:08 UTC 2009

On 20.02.2009, at 02:09, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I have The CRC Card Book of by David Bellin and Susan Suchman Simone
> and
> yes, many people could be difficult in meetings.
>
> But as we was so few and work is too heavy, we could have more
> members this
> year.

Which work specifically do you mean would benefit from being split
amongst more people? IMHO the "work" mainly consists of communicating,
and bringing more people in grows the number of communication paths
exponentially.

> Any is against ?

Yes. When we discussed this today in the leadership meeting, the
majority felt that 7 are quite enough, some even thought 5 would be
sufficient.

> Why ?

We don't have to do the *actual* work ourselves (at least not in our
elected role), our job is to facilitate or, if necessary, delegate.
Speaking as someone serving for 3 years now I can say that reaching
consensus with 7 is already hard, and more would make group meetings
quite uncomfortable.

- Bert -