[squeak-dev] Re: Why the Board should have only seven seats ?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 01:38:10 UTC 2009

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> I have The CRC Card Book of by David Bellin and Susan Suchman Simone and
> yes, many people could be difficult in meetings.
>
> But as we was so few and work is too heavy, we could have more members this
> year.
>
> Any is against ? Why ?

Organizational issues. Having too many people makes organizing meetings
across time zones a nightmare. Seven is already at the high mark and you
can see that most meetings are not fully attended. And once meetings
aren't fully attended you start the next meeting by repeating what
happened on the last. The larger the number of people the more you need
to repeat and often this ends up in having the same discussion that you
had in the previous meeting all over again.  Then there is finding
consensus. The fewer people involved the easier it usually is to get
consensus.

I find seven a good number because it is large enough that you can loose
two members without the board evaporating and it is just about the
largest number one can reasonably manage that way.

If we had less churn amongst the board members I would probably argue
for five instead of seven, mostly because that also gives the community
a way of making choices. But this is definitely not a good choice if the
dropout rate of the board is what it's been in the past.

So I'm in favor of sticking with seven for the time being.

Cheers,
   - Andreas