[squeak-dev] Board projects (was Re: [Election] Nomination period ends in 3 days!)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat Feb 21 20:58:54 UTC 2009

Overall I agree that the community needs to be further engaged but I'm
not sure I understand how your suggestion of BPPs can be effective.  I'm
going to one-up your strawman by arguing with your particular example,
feel free to posit another if appropriate:

Why would someone wanting to do a project agree to this framework?  It
seems to me if I saw some need I would much rather pursue it freely at
my own schedule, be able to fail in something approximating privacy if
it comes to that, and not be bound to answer to others.  If I then come
up with something that I think the community should consider adopting I
would present it as something close to a finished project that can be
examined and evaluated directly, in contrast to a proposal.  Any voting
or arbitration or decree by the Leadership can happen just as well at
that phase as before.  If I'm voted down then I and my compatriots have
perhaps lost something (not much really, package it and let anyone who
chooses to use it do so individually) but it seems like no greater risk
to the community than if the team agrees to a BPP then fails.

Ken