[squeak-dev] n-core Smalltalk at work [Re: Hydra now can do mitosis]

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 17:53:24 UTC 2009

Perhaps naively, I simply downloaded the binaries and used them to open a
3.10 dev image, which seemed to work fine, FreeType and all...

So...from the helpful doits, it seems that you prepare a second image that
carries out the native processes for you?  Or can you run several native
threads within the current image?

Very interesting...and what is most impressive is that someone relatively
unsophisticated like me could just open an image with the new VM, load the
HydraVM package from Squeaksource and get have HydraVM isHydra return true!

A short example of creating a "lengthy process" running in it's own thread
would be great...you know, something that just counts for a really long time
or something.

This is very interesting!

Rob