[squeak-dev] Re: n-core Smalltalk at work [Re: Hydra now can do mitosis]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Feb 22 19:14:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:57:48 +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>
>> 2nd: what expression (HydraClone new cloneIdleProcess) does for you, is
>> it runs the computational task which is described by the corresponding
>> object subgraph, in a *new* native thread (with own heap and instance of
>
> Just trying to understand this...
>
> Does the object subgraph have to be complete (include all objects,
> classes and methods) to run the task?

Yes, except the unsent messages and unreferenced variables, they can be
nil'ed using the substitution array. Example: many fields of Class(es) are
for use by the IDE only, just nil'em.

> Or is there a way objects/code can be loaded on demand like (If I
> understand this correctly) Craig's Spoon system does?

No. Spoon's dynamicity is not part of Hydra mitosis (and in order to add
it, Spoon must be added).

> Would it be possibel to save the so created (minimal) image to reuse it
> later?

Yes: do transfer the corresponding method then put it [the method] to
work. "classic" Hydra can then load+run the saved .image as usual.

And if that .image also contains sufficient GUI,etc objects, even the
non-Hydra VM can load+run it and render it for your use.

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein