[squeak-dev] enablers

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Feb 27 01:36:08 UTC 2009

Craig Latta wrote:

>       Of course, establishing an environment that allows something like
> SqC to prosper is the real trick. But we shouldn't forget how important
> it was in the history of this project.

I agree, but don`t see this as something the leadership can do. The
closest we have right now is Eliot Miranda working for Qwaq. I would
like to see more of this, but think it is up to companies linked to the
community rather than the community itself.

About the history, it is important to remember that the original goal
was to build something like Etoys and when Java proved to be an
unsuitable platform there was a loooong detour in bringing Apple
Smalltalk back from the dead. Eventually the platform cleanup was mostly
done and the focus shifted to Etoys, Croquet, Sophie and so on. So by
the original plan we wouldn`t need a SqC anymore. I don`t want to keep
to the original plan but want to push Squeak into the future and if that
requires as new SqC (and I think it does) then this is a great
discussion for us to have right now.

-- Jecel